Who We Are
The International Development Evaluation Association (IDEAS) was inaugurated in September 2002 to meet the need for a global professional association for internationally active development evaluators. Over the years, much has changed in the global evaluation community. Many new national and regional associations have been created. Global partnerships and communities of practice have been formed, allowing joint efforts between both evaluation professional associations and organizations. The changing agenda from the Millennium Development Goals to Sustainable Development Goals, the Paris Agreement on Climate Change and the rapidly changing landscape of financing for development pose major challenges.
Within this renovated and vibrant context, IDEAS positions itself as the only global professional evaluation association which focuses on international sustainable development. It is deeply involved in promoting the profession, fostering capacity development, and improving and advancing theories, methods and use of evidence.
IDEAS’ mission is to improve and extend the practice of development evaluation by refining knowledge, strengthening capacity, and expanding networks for development evaluation, particularly in developing and transition countries.
The mission of IDEAS is rooted in its core values and principles, which are intended to guide the behaviour of its members. IDEAS expects its members, in any role in which they are engaged in a development evaluation process, to display integrity, honesty and respect. Members are guided by a Code of Ethics detailing:
- Ethical Principles – organized based on the IDEAS mission and values expressed and translated in broad behaviour orientations;
- Code of Conduct – containing specific rules of conduct for evaluators in relation to (1) colleagues and to the Association;(2) the public and stakeholders, including the client;(3) the profession of monitoring and evaluation in the development context, and to the development field itself, comprehensively understood as the sustainable development of societies;
- Application – Ways to use the Code of Ethics to preserve the high spirit of the association so it can accomplish its objectives and mission.
- To contribute to professional knowledge, ethics, conceptual thinking and standards in international development evaluation;
- To enhance the capacity of its members and international development evaluators in general;
- To provide a platform for exchange of experiences and knowledge amongst its members and in general for the profession;
- To promote governance, learning from evidence and accountability for development.
These strategic objectives are developed in our work and in our policies. Members are invited to get involved in IDEAS Topical Interest Groups, Projects, Programmes and other initiatives.
In September 2016, the membership of IDEAS approved a new Constitution that better reflects the nature of a professional association with a charitable purpose. Currently IDEAS is registered with the Charity Commission of England and Wales, and the 2016 Constitution is better in line with this.
The Code of Ethics is of primary importance for the members – it describes what they aspire to in evaluations. The code was formulated by a multicultural group of members with diverse background and accepted in 2013 at the Global Assembly in Barbados. The current version of the Code of Ethics was approved by the Board in 2014.
The election of Board members is arranged for in Election by-laws.